Public Safety Commissioner
36 No. Main Street
Fx: (518) 664-3431
Monday - Friday
The Department of Public Safety is located at 36 North Main Street on the 1st floor of the City Hall Building.
The Public Safety Office provides:
- Public Transportation System An open-to-the-public bus transportation service. Senior Citizens ride at no cost, but are encouraged to make a voluntary donation and there is a $.65 fare for non-seniors. This route includes the City of Mechanicville only. Questions regarding the schedule can be answered by calling our bus info line at (518) 664-5651.
- SUMMER HOURS INCLUDE: Monday through Friday 9 A.M. to 3 P.M. ans Saturdays 3 P.M. to 5:30 P.M. for church.
- FALL/WINTER HOURS ARE EFFECTIVE AS OF 9/4/18. The bus will run from 9:30 am to 1:30 pm Monday through Friday, and on Saturdays 9 am to 12 pm, church 3pm to 5:30 pm.
- PLEASE NOTE that hours are subject to change. On many Saturday's during the fall our bus takes our local Senior Citizen's on trips, which may affect the weekend bus schedule.
City Bus Route
- Public parks and playgrounds with supervised, summer hours
The Park Avenue Playground is located on the west end of town. At the playground, there is an eight-week youth summer program offering many activities and field trips. The program usually begins at the end of June and runs through the third week of August. The schedule of activities can be picked-up at the parks or Public Safety Office. Park and playground hours are Monday thru Friday 9:00AM - 4:00PM & the pool is open on Saturdays from 11:00am – 3:00pm.
- The summer program has ended as of August 18. The pool will remained closed for the rest of the season.
Senior Citizens Services:
Commissioner Barb McGuire is also the director of the Mechanicville Senior Citizens Center. The Senior Citizen Facility is located at 178 No. Main Street. Office hours are 9:00AM to 4:00PM and the phone number is (518) 664-7877. The Senior Center offers activities and a 60+ dining program sponsored by the City of Mechanicville and Saratoga County Office For the Aging (meal provided Monday through Friday at noon). Reservations must be made the day before. The Saratoga County Office for the Aging meal program contact number is (518) 664-3924.
Karin Drosdick, Elder Care Services Coordinator, provides outreach services to our Seniors. Karin can be reached at (518) 664-0075 or (518) 664-8322.
A Senior Newsletter is published monthly, with a schedule of activities and updates on senior programs. Many of the activities at the Center have been ongoing for years, the newer ones have been introduced by our Elder Care Services Coordinator. Newsletters can be picked-up at the Senior Center or Public Safety Office. If you join the Senior Organization, your name will be added to the newsletter mailing list.